Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Defeat the Winter Doldrums" Dishcloth Swap Topic of the Week

"Defeat the Winter Doldrums" Dishcloth Swap topic of the week....

There are many people who ADORE receiving hand-knit or crochet items; but there are just as many who have no appreciation whatever of how much love, work, and time goes into a hand-made item. Share a story of a hand-made gift you gave to someone and how it worked out - good, bad, or ugly!

Practically ALL of my knit items are gifted away. I rarely ever keep any of them myself except perhaps the rare hat or once in a blue moon the rare scarf and then those get stolen by my daughters in the end anyway. I have even been known to sell a washcloth and soap bag or two with my handmade soaps :-) It pays for the yarn LOL.

I do have one story that isn't really bad, per say, but she never put the sweater on her baby. She thought the sweater was too precious to be worn by her spitting up, throwing up, crying little infant so instead she bought one of those preservation boxes and put it in that with the card I had made and hung it in the babies room as wall decoration instead. I told her it was made to be worn and to be seen and could be washed in the washing machine but, she refused. She insisted it was too gorgeous, the yarn was simply to incredible and must have taken me too long to make to be wasted and she wanted it to be kept and a remembrance. It still hangs in the child's room.

No comments: