Friday, September 07, 2007

Cool Statistics

By trade, I do market research so when I come across a statistic or am send one I usually find them facinating. My husband actually send me two that I thought my fellow knitters would find interesting especially since I rarely come across one where an expert would actually mention "gasp" knitting.

from Newsweek
"Tattoos and Knitting"
Both are discernible microtrends in America, says pollster Mark Penn. And they contain powerful clues to what’s happening in society.

... Between 2004 and 2005, the purchase of fashion yarn increased 56 percent. The fastest growing group of knitters are teens and twentysomethings. ...

... The microsurge in knitting among teens? It represents a turning away from the prevalent online obsession of most young Americans. “People are looking for new outlets of self-expression,” says Penn. “There is a premium on individuality that is rapidly rising.”...

How about that?!?

9 comments:

Anita said...

Hi Sharon,
Interesting facts there!
Just thought I'd say hello.... I'm part of the dishcloth exchange. YEAH! Thanks for hosting!!
Anita :)

Michelle said...

Sharon,
Stopping in to say hello! Sorry to hear about your hectic week... but wondering if now I should run out and get a tattoo to fit in with my trendy knitting obsession!

sunneshine said...

Well, I have tatoos and knit - and have had/done both for years, now its trendy. Love the stats! Thanks...

When I teach my class, the women are usually 20+ years older then I am, there is always a whisper when I walk in - "are you sure that she really knows what she is doing?" by one of the newbies. By the end of class they realize that skulls, black, chuck taylors and knitting are not mutually exclusive - hehe

SissySees said...

Interesting. I don't fit into the described market at all, but that's one of the many things I like about the online knitting community; it is truly diverse!

Melissa said...

Works for me! ha ha

Anonymous said...

Stopping in to say "Hi" to my pal...interesting fact also!
Hope you have a much better week this next week. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
SP-FFBE

tina said...

Very interesting indeed. My 22 year old daughter (my ,sigh, difficult child) has tattoos and has recently expressed a desire for two things. A sewing kit (like to be able to hem her work pants) and to knit again. She hasn't knit since she was maybe 10!!!! Very cool! And I who today feel like a very old broad, and who have knit for a very long time am seriously considering a tattoo. That must be an interesting factoid somewhere! :)

JenniferB said...

That's interesting. I wonder what they consider "Fashion yarn"?

NH Knitting Mama said...

Cool facts!