Friday, September 21, 2007

Day of Atonement and Reflection

Tonight, for several people, after a small feast, begins a day off fasting. This means no eating or drinking from Sundown tonight to Sundown tomorrow night. It is a day of atonement, reflection, confession and meditation.

Some observe the holiday with just the fast and think that is enough. Most who observe this holiday do it by the numbers. Go to synagogue, say the prayers they are told to say end their fast and then go back to their lives as if nothing ever changed and repeat the same thing the following year.

I try to take the atonement, reflection, confession and meditation, all four pieces seriously and try to include them all in my day. I do go to synagogue and say my prayers but, I also try to reflect on the year and do a lot of meditation. The Princess, Miss Sunshine and I will spend some time together tomorrow outside talking, walking and discussion our Mitzvah (good deed) project for the year. We have done some great ones in the past (Locks of Love, Food Pantry, Dinner for those living with AIDS) so I can't wait too see what we come up with this year.

I wish for everyone peace in their homes, health of their bodies and our troops to come home.

Gmar chatima tova! May you be sealed in the Book of Life.

4 comments:

SissySees said...

Thank you for educating us, and for being a "from the heart" kind of woman. I'm sure you and the girls will come up with another worthy project that will make the world a better place. Way to lead by example!

NH Knitting Mama said...

What a wonderful post. And I enjoy learning about your religion, too. What a great way to spend the day.

Anonymous said...

Hrm. Happy Day of Atonement? I don't think it's a happy day kind of thing, but I do love that you are spending time with your girls and bestowing your beliefs and values - that's an awesome thing.

NH Knitting Mama said...

So, how did the day go? You post almost everyday, so I feel lost without you here... I hope you didn't think (during all this reflection) that you spend too much time online or something silly like that! ha ha...