Tuesday, October 02, 2007

My "New" Full Time Job

Many of you have read about the marathons that little Miss Sunshine "runs" when I'd like her to do certain things or when I am trying to get her to go to sleep or settle in for the night. I joke about it and tease. However, if you can read between the lines you can read that she is hyperactive. Well, she actually has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - Impulsive variety. So they think. All of her diagnosing is not complete entirely. This is one heck of a long draw out process. Well, as my Mom told me today, Miss Sunshine just because my full time job.

In just under a year from now, Miss Sunshine will enter kindergarten in public school. I want to make sure all our ducks are in a row and we know exactly what is going on with her and I can fight for her rights as best I can. I already know of one road block. Get this, Pennsylvania is one these states in which schooling is only required from age 7 till age 16 which they consider to be 1st grade. What does that mean? If the district decide to do nothing till she is 7, they can do nothing till she is 7. I know my school district is much better than that but, hence the reason Miss Sunshine JUST became my full time job.

She was funny in one of the waiting rooms today though. She asked, "Momma, You bring your knitting? Come sit here with me and knit. (she patted the chair next to her) I'll watch Dora so you can knit next to me." Isn't she the cutest? She knows when we go to an appointment out comes the knitting.

6 comments:

Cass said...

She's lucky to have a mom who cares so much. :)

Happy Birthday! I left you a little sumthin sumthin at my blog. :)
xoxo

NH Knitting Mama said...

Sharon, my thoughts are with you. I was sharing with Chan a bit ago that I sometimes think that Poppy may have some variety of ADHD. We're working on some alternate discipline methods and routine stuff to see if it helps.

She's very lucky to have you as a Mom. Some folks don't know how to deal.

Michele said...

Happy Birthday Sharon. Hope it was a good one!!!

Laurie said...

As a teacher, I will say: good for you, mom! Yes, you are your child's best advocate. Keep on top of the laws and rights of your child. Don't let anyone push the issues off to the side. Let the teacher know what's going on (sometimes we are the last to know...).

Sally said...

Have you considered contacting the Montogomery County Intermediate Unit? They are the biggest advocates you can have. It's worth checking out. :o)

mommieofdrew said...

I know what you are going through. Today my son's school decided that he needs to have a visit with the Occ. therapist at his school.