Thursday, March 15, 2007

New Knitting Mentor!

Yesterday as I was designing and printing labels for all my goodies for this weekend there was a lot of downtime as it takes a while for the labels to come out of the printer I did some web surfing. I discovered a new book called "No Sheep For You" The name itself intrigued me. Hmm, no sheep, did this mean what I thought it meant? No wool? Or was it a play on words? I have read most of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee 's books and although I find her very funny and I can relate to some of what she writes, she does push woolie items on people all the time and doesn't understand anyone not obsessed with wool and with me being allergic to wool and other animal fibers I cringe at this prospect.

So here I am reading this title "No Sheep For You" by Interweave Press and find myself having to find out what this book is about.

"Knit Happy with Cotton, Silk, Linen, Hemp, Bamboo, and Other Delights by Amy R. Singer

In a world where sheep-based knitting is the norm, do you feel left out? ......This how-to guide will teach you all about non-wool yarns, focusing on plant fibers including cotton, linen, hemp, soy, bamboo, Tencel, rayon, the new synthetics and more, plus the most delicious non-wool of all: silk. Learn why each fiber behaves the way it does, how to make it do what you want it to do, and when it’s time to try something else instead. This wild world of fibers is accompanied by 22 classic and wearable patterns for socks, scarves, hats, shawls, sweaters, vests, and bags—all created with fibers that never had four legs.


An entire chapter is devoted to tips and tricks that save time and money. Learn the inside scoop that will enable you to get the look of wool in your knitting while using the fibers you prefer. ....Take your knitting to the next level with No Sheep for You. "
http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/No_Sheep/about.asp

WOW I need to buy this
book. It is on order. I need to meet Amy Singer. She is coming to my neck of the woods in August. I have found a knitting author/expert I can look up to that knits with my kind of fiber (although I don't use silk because that comes from the tushies from bugs)

No comments: