Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I like it! Now Change Everything

Why is it when I find a pattern I like I automatically want to change something to it? I am never happy with it from cast on to bind off 100%. There is usually something I just HAVE to do it to change, it, alter it, make it mine or something to it.


Of course there is the obvious, for me, the yarn thing. I rarely find a pattern I like that is written in a yarn I can actually use. So, right off the bat I have to change that. I am getting very good at the gauge thing. Believe it or not, I am a rare swatch doer since I am not much of a clothing knitter per se and I am one of those knitters you love to hate since I get lucky in this area. Don't get me wrong, I have had a few whoppers of mistakes that have ended up as doll blankets but thankfully they were done in cheap yarn. There have been rare occasions when I can use the yarn the pattern calls for and there are times when even though i can use the yarn in the pattern I STILL want to change it.


Then there is the cast on. I am not much for the picot cast on so if I can avoid it, I do. It is cute for babies so I have do it a few times but, it is definitely not a favorite and it is annoying.


Next I might sit with 2-4 hat patterns and combine them. Or I might not like the increase or decrease a pattern calls for so I'll change it. Upping the needle size is one of my favorite things to do too.


Lets not forget working without a net at all (no pattern and making it up as we go along). That has set a few things to the frog pond when I forget what I was doing but this is usually when I am doing a wash cloth so it is a same project to begin with anyway. I need to start writing things down more.


I couldn't even do that two rectangle baby poncho like the pattern calls for. Which, by the way, here it is. i decided not to add the flower brooch, it would have been too much

Oh I know. I am 95% process, 5% product. If I had my way, All of my needles would have some project on them and I have a lot of needles. Then I'd go stir crazy and no project would ever finish.

One of these days I will surprise myself. I will find a pattern I love in a yarn I love and knit the piece from cast on to bind off with out changing a single stitch and be in love with the entire thing.

4 comments:

Michele said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love the package that you put together for me. It really brightened my day. The Cherry Tree Hill cotton tape is fabulous. You had it wound for me, yay! Thank you again. Funny thing is that I already had you blog bookmarked...who'da thunk it!? Thanks Sharon!

Devonshire said...

I wish I could be more adventurous like you with my knitting. I am slowly trying to make things 'mine' and alter things and yarns. I'm getting there....

Best,

Devon

JenniferB said...

Devon have you seen Sweater Wizard software? I was thinking about you while I was playing around with it again today. Obviously it only works for sweaters, but it's really nice and allows you to tweak patterns without doing too much math on your own.

Bubblesknits said...

The little poncho is precious! What did you make it out of?