Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Scent of Coffee Fills the Air

And not what you would think....

Since I signed up for the Knitter's Coffee swap, I thought I would combine my "other" craft too and decided to make some coffee soap. Lately I tend to buy my coffee from 7-11, Wawa (both convenience shops), Starbucks or Bucks County Coffee because my husband does not drink coffee (I know the horror of it) so why waste good brewed coffee. Aileen (blog-less) was kind enough to save her grounds for me and about 19 ounces (weighed) of brewed hazelnut coffee for me from yesterday so that I could make soap from it today.

This is the just poured soap. I usually use distilled or filtered room temperature water but since the coffee was from yesterday it was in the refrigerator. Well, the reaction from the sodium hydroxide when it hit the coffee was so intense that it heated up the coffee so hot to almost boiling. It was amazing. It made the entire house smell of coffee which it still does several hours later as it sits "sleeping" on my dining room table. I was going to scent it with some chocolate fragrance oil but the mixture of the brewed coffee and regular cocoa butter makes the soap smell amazing all on its own already without anything added. The soap will be ready to cut into bars tomorrow. It is going to be a wonderful scrubby bar.
Hmm come to think of it, I might have a little bit of my Mochacino Butter left... now where did I put that? It had coffee butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, vanilla oil.. good for the skin, the lips...

5 comments:

JenniferB said...

oh. my. gosh. Can one buy this soap?!

Bubblesknits said...

Yeah...feel free to accidentally drop a bar in my box before you ship it! lol Just kidding. Hmm...do the coffee grounds serve as an exfoliater as the bar is rubbed across the skin or are they too soft?

Kat said...

it looks good enough to eat! I am enjoying this swap too! I have put the box together for my partner, with lots of local stuff in it!

vegasangelbrat said...

Oh sweet memories of a store called "Wawa" lol Your story on the roses was great, then you mentioned wawa...sure do miss Jersey (across the bridge from philly) Thanks for some memories :)

Knittymama said...

That's just lovely!