Thursday, April 05, 2007

Please Help Me Find A Hat Pattern

My parents are taking their first real vacation in over two years. They love to travel and have been to every corner of the earth, literally, together or separately but for health reasons either theirs or one of my siblings, they haven't gone some where exciting in a while. This summer that is going to change. They got invited to a wedding in Hawaii and are going to extend that into a vacation for themselves.

My Mom tends to get sun spots very easily so and where these crazy floppy hats made of straw usually. Their last trip was more in and out of museums so I didn't think to make her anything but this time in tropical Hawaii, I want to make her a floppy hat. All I have found so far is this thing to the left which I do not mind but the pattern is written a bit complex for me besides the fact that it is written top down DK weight on double pointed needles then switching to circulars. I usually do a hat bottom up starting on circulars, reducing along the way ending with double pointed. it has a variety of other complications that this novice isn't ready for. Well, not quite yet and their trip is this summer.

Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for a hat like this for a more worsted weight cotton yarn 4.5 - in on 6 - 7 for a floppy brim sun hat? Any help will be much appreciated by me and my Mom.

I am going to a few LYS tomorrow and will ask there with picture in hand to see if the can help either with one already written or if maybe they could even fix the one I have or I'd even pay them to write one. That is how important my Mom and her trip is to me. I want her to have a good time and I want her to have a really great hat on her trip.

3 comments:

RandomRanter said...

I found this pattern (http://www.chemocaps.com/pat_fb_ww.htm) where you make a standard hat and pick the stitches up and add the brim so you could make the brim a little floppier or wider as needed.

picperfic said...

I found this one...not sure the yarn is the right weight for you though.... http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=99&d_id=23&lang=en

picperfic said...

or this one?

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=58&d_id=19&lang=us