Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Knitting Publications

Thanks to the Knitter's Treat Exchange, my horizon has been open to a variety of new and different blogs. I have taken the time and energy and used one of my favorite skills, procrastination of my other responsibilities, to read a lot of the blogs of the participates and even posted on a few of them. Some have even been gracious enough to post back here or drop me an email message. It has also opened me to a variety of publications that I would never have seen or heard of or would have been interested in otherwise. I have seen all these wonderful patterns I would have never seen before either.

Now here is my dilemma. Do I try to hunt down these issues with the patterns I find interesting? Ask the person if I can borrow their issue and tell them I will pay for postage to and from even though we barely know each other? Ask them to copy just the pattern I like and I offer to pay for that? Go to my local library and if they have the magazine? I really have no clue where my library is since my township doesn't really have one and we use the one for the next town over, sort of. I think they issue us the card and then we can go to any other library in the area. okay, I digress.

I belong to a local knitting group that for the moment we are calling Sit N Knit (crocheters et. al. are welcome as well) and I have been posting to our message board if anyone has this pub or that magazine but the group, in relative terms is pretty small, only some 21 members with only 12 that are active. out of those I think maybe 5 get magazines on a regular basis that are not Creative Knitting. Not that there is anything wrong with Creative Knitting but, I already get that one and face facts, they have nice patterns in there but usually nothing to write home about.

Okay, what is a knitter on a budget to do? One of my local knitting buddies who is more experienced than me said, get me a picture and we will figure out a pattern. That was for one of the more simplistic designs I was looking at for something for little miss sunshine. However, what about the more complex ones? I have been thinking about starting a library for my knitting group. I have to think about it more and how that would work and if the members of my group would actually do it for their books and magazines. If it would help me out, I bet it would help others out. I need to think about it some more. It would definitely solve one of my little problems. now if I could only stop all this procrastination.....

3 comments:

B said...

That's a really good idea. I can't hardly justify spending $30 on a book just to get one pattern. I get almost all my patterns online or from the public library. You should find the library!

TeaandCakes said...

Getting people to post you photocopies is a bit dodgy copyright wise.
Have you been on to the Interweave website? They have quite a lot of free patterns up too, plus they post up previews of each issue so you could see if it was worth you splashing out on it.
Setting up a library is a great idea - or even just informally getting people to bring in new books they get so you can see what else is out there, and maybe borrow...

erika said...

I think the knitting book library is a great idea!

Have you tried looking for patterns on eBay? I have found a number of old issues of Interweave, as well as some books, for pretty decent prices... but you have to dig around. The girls in both my knitting groups (one back in the US, one here in Germany) are great about bringing knitting books to our knit nights and letting people borrow them...

Thanks so much for posting on my blog! I am so excited for the Knitter's Exchange to begin!