Friday, May 25, 2007

Has Anyone Ever Knit With....

I have the opportunity to buy some natural Hemp and/or nettle yarns from Nepal at a discount but, I have never used it before. I want to try them for many reasons. A) it's an alternative natural fiber. B) They look very cool. C) My dad's sister, my Aunt lived (not sure if she still does, you never know with her) in Nepal for many years.

So, has anyone every knit with it? Is it rough to work with? What do you make with it? Anyone have a pattern they can sent to me if I actually go through with it and order some? Cass, have you? I know you like the natural, alternative fibers, don't you?

3 comments:

Cass said...

Yup, I've knit with hemp, but it was AllHemp, and it was quite soft! You might think it'd be stiff and prickly, but if it's good quality then the fibers are long enough to stay twisted and not get prickly. It's great for market bags (which is what I did with it) and purses of course. I have a friend who is knitting the shawl in No Sheep For You with hemp, but I suspect it's a hemp blend. What kind of discount are you getting and can you share? :) Also, the hemp softens with use and wash, but keeps its shape very well, a lot like linen. HTH!!

Dotty said...

I am using allHemp3 (fingering) to knit the Indigo Ripples Skirt from IK Spring 2007. It's not bad to knit with although there are bits of vm here and there. The first skein had a bunch of knots but the second and third are ok. There's no stretch so doing things like M1L and M1R are a bit of pain. I think the hemp has better drape and blooms a little more than linen. And it's so much more reasonably priced than euroflax.

www.lanaknits.com has great pattern support for all their hemp yarns.

I do not like the look of allHemp6 (the dk version) knitted up. The garment seems coarse. It's probably just me.

Bubblesknits said...

I've never knit with hemp, but I felt a sample of some at my LYS. Personally, I found it a little rough. I don't have a clue what the name of it was, so it could have been a crappy brand and therefore, scratchy. Maybe it's like cotton and it depends on the brand and make. :-)

Enjoy your weekend!!!