Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Very Special Gift

My Mom is finally doing it. After working for The Board of Education as a teacher for over 30 years as either a Spanish teacher or as an English teacher to children who don't speak English she is actually retiring this year. I keep telling her I will believe it with I see it. Her retirement dinner is next Thursday. However, My sister and I, along with my dad, got her something extra special that we gave to her last night. Something that has been a long time in the making, something she has wanted for a very long time but would never get for herself and thought she would never own. We made her cry. Okay that isn't something new, we are an emotional family.

When my Mom turned 50, my sister and I took my Mom to have her ears pierced. You see, my maternal grandfather was from Romania and his theory was if you pierced your ears you might as well pierce your nose and become a gypsy (I hope no one takes offense but this was during the early 1900s and he is speaking of real Gypsies here so you have to understand his mindset) So, my Mom was never allowed to get her ears pierced. So we took her. We bought her all kinds of earrings but not the ones she really wanted. She did get her birthstone, though, garnets and several others she liked but, it think she really wanted diamond earrings. I mean, diamonds are a girl's best friend, right? She never got them. Till last night, 16 years later.

We thought, who would be more deserving of this gift than our Mom? Our own very first teacher who went on to teach hundreds more? Definitely!! She did tell me it doesn't get me off the hook from having to give a speech next Thursday (Shoot!) although I thought perhaps my brother should have too since he is the oldest but, Mom thinks I am more eloquent. Besides, I was the one who took speech in college.

At least there is only 2 days left till sign ups begin for the Knitter's Virtual Vacation Swap unless you live on Kiritimati Christmas Island. Then it is only one ;-)

2 comments:

Sue J. said...

Congratulations to your Mom on a fine career. I sincerely hope retirement is relaxing and enjoyable for her. I'm sure she will miss teaching, but she deserves a rest, too. Take if from a former teacher. Good luck on the speech.

Bubblesknits said...

Pass along my congratulations to your mom! My mom still has several more years of teaching before she can retire, but like you, I'll believe it when I see it. LOL

Good luck with the speech!